I am going to share a recipe for Brazilian Fish stew today. . A Brazilian stew is also called Moqueca; it can be made with the fish you prefer in coconut milk and chili, tomatoes, lemon, and onions. It originated from Salvador, a city on the coast of Brazil, which offers good seafood.
Stew is a combination of solid and liquid ingredients. It consists of solid vegetables or meat cooked in liquid to serve in the form of gravy. If using meat, it has to be cooked slowly, so that the meat is cooked properly and for meat, you can use chicken, beef, sausage, eggs, and seafood. It may seem like it is similar to a soup but the stew is thicker than soup.
To make Brazilian fish stew, mix cumin, paprika, garlic, salt, lime juice, and pepper in a bowl. Add fish to this spice mixture. Cover it with the mixture and refrigerate it for 20 minutes. Then, heat oil in a pan and cook onions in it. Add fish, bell peppers, and tomatoes to it. Also, add coconut milk to it and cook the stew for 15 minutes. Then, add cilantro to it and cook it for 5 more minutes.
This is just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Malvani Fish Curry– Malvani fish curry is one of the most exquisite dishes from Malvani cuisine. It is filled with the richness of coconut milk and ground Malvani spices which make it mesmerizing.
2. Lentil Stew– The stew embodies the smoothness of green vegetables, tanginess of tomatoes, edgy flavor of garlic, fiery touch of smoked paprika, and the richness of lentils.
3. Tuna Alfredo Casserole– This recipe is pasta made in a casserole with tuna and some vegetables. You can even use frozen vegetables in the recipe. Using frozen vegetables will be a great time saver, as you do not have to chop several vegetables.
4. Iranian Chicken Curry– The Iranian Chicken Curry reveals in its taste the richness of saffron and the extremism of the rest of the spices. A very tasty dish with a little extra time and effort drives the magic of this ever-so-yummy curry.
Ingredients for Brazilian Fish Stew
|Lime Juice||3 tablespoons|
|Garlic (minced)||2 teaspoon|
|Black Pepper||1 teaspoon|
|Tilapia Fillet||1 ½ pound|
|Olive Oil||2 tablespoons|
|Bell Peppers (sliced)||4 large|
|Tomatoes||1-16 ounce can|
|Coconut milk||1-16 ounce can|
|Cilantro (chopped)||1 bunch (optional)|
How Much Time Will It Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|20 minutes||25 minutes||20 minutes||1 hour 5 minutes|
Brazilian Fish Stew Recipe
- Take a bowl and mix spices to coat on fish with cumin, paprika, garlic, salt, lime juice, and pepper.
- Add tilapia to this bowl and toss so that the spices get coated on the fish properly. Refrigerate this for a minimum of 20 minutes to a maximum of 24 hours.
- In a pan, heat olive oil over a medium-high flame and fry onions in it for a minute or two. Now, reduce the flame to medium and add the marinated tilapia, bell peppers and tomatoes.
- Pour coconut milk into this pan and cover to cook for 15 minutes with occasional stirring. Lastly, add some cilantro to this and cook for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional Breakdown of Brazilian Fish Stew