If you are looking for a healthy recipe to make that is also high in taste parameters, then Jaime Oliver blackened chicken with quinoa salad recipe is the one for you. It is flavorful, delicious, and really easy to make.
I found this recipe in Jamie Oliver cookbook and had to give it a try. It has a lot of flavors coming together. It has the punch of spices and peppers, the tang of limes and the sweetness of mango.
To make Jamie Oliver blackened chicken with quinoa salad, cook the quinoa. Blend together spinach, coriander, spring onions, and chili. To this, mix well quinoa, mango chunks, olive oil, lime juice, and sprinkle some salt.
Marinade the chicken in salt, pepper, and paprika. Once done, fry it together with the bell pepper. Slice the chicken, serve along with the salad, and feta.
If you want to give your salad a twist, you can use pearl barley in the recipe. If you don’t have it, here are some of the pearl barley substitutes you can use.
For delicious salad, replace the quinoa with rice. It change makes the dish more like a traditional rice and beans dish, but it is still just as healthy and flavorful.
For a more hearty dish, then you could replace the quinoa with couscous. It is a type of pasta made from semolina flour, and it has a similar texture to rice, making a great option that will fill you up without being too heavy.
This was just an introduction to the whole recipe. Let’s see the complete recipe of blackened chicken with quinoa salad below.
But before going to the complete recipe, let’s check out some other recipes by some famous chefs. Before you proceed with the recipe, check out the list of other Jamie Oliver recipes.
What's In The Post
Other Jamie Oliver Recipes That You Can Try
- Jamie Oliver Toad In The Hole
- Jamie Oliver Chicken Nuggets
- Jamie Oliver Gazpacho
- Jamie Oliver Beef Stew
- Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Jamie Oliver Black Bean Soup
- Jamie Oliver Apple Crumble
- Jamie Oliver Bolognese
- Jamie Oliver Broccoli Pasta
- Jamie Oliver Steak Marinade
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Blackened Chicken With Quinoa Salad?
- Pot – Cook quinoa in a medium pot until it is tender and a white “tail” appears around each grain for about 15 minutes.
- Frying Pan – Fry seasoned chicken in a frying pan for a few minutes until cooked.
- Blender – In a blender, blend coriander, chili, trimmed spring onions, and spinach until finely chopped.
- Bowl – In a bowl, season the chicken with allspice and paprika for the recipe.
- Knife – Chop the veggies into strips and cut the fried chicken into slices for the salad.
- Chopping Board – Slice and cut the veggies and chicken respectively on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Colander – Transfer the cooked quinoa to a colander and drain it under the cold tap.
- Spatula – Toss the quinoa with chicken slices using a spatula.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Blackened Chicken With Quinoa Salad?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||15 Minutes||25 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Jamie Oliver Blackened Chicken With Quinoa Salad?
For Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa – Cook quinoa in a pan to get a mild and slightly nutty flavor of the salad.
- Feta Cheese – I have crumbled feta cheese over the salad to add tangy, rich, and slightly salty flavor.
- Virgin Olive Oil – Add extra virgin oil to the salad to enhance the flavors, thereby, helping you absorb the nutrition of your salad greens.
- Limes – Squeeze the lemon juice to the salad to add bright and tangy flavor in each bite.
- Spring Onions – Mix spring onions to the salad to add spicy and pungent taste.
- Ripe Mango – The ripe mango chunks will add soft and juicy taste to the salad.
- Avocado – Mix chopped avocado to the salad to add a slightly sweet aroma and somewhat nutty flavor.
- Baby Spinach – Chop and blend spinach to add a mild and slightly sweet taste to the salad.
- Fresh Coriander – Coriander will add citrus taste with a strong aroma to the salad.
- Water Cress – Top your salad with watercress to add a distinctive peppery taste.
- Red Chili – Blend red chili to add citrusy notes with more smoky and pungent flavor.
- Salt – Salt is added to the salad to maximize the crispness of the ingredients.
- Chicken Breasts – I have used chicken breast for the salad as it is easy to be minced and tastes soft.
- Fat-Free Yogurt – Toss fried chicken in fat-free yogurt to contribute the rich and buttery flavor.
- Olive Oil – Fry chicken breast in olive oil until it’s outside is crispy brown and juicy from inside.
- Bell Peppers – Bell peppers will add a fresh taste and a crunchy texture when fried with chicken.
- Ground All Spice – Season chicken breasts with allspice to get the complex flavor featuring notes of cloves, nutmeg, star anise, fennel, black pepper, and cinnamon.
- Spiced Paprika – Toss chicken breasts in spiced paprika to get mild flavor, bringing beautiful color, and a hint of sweetness.
Steps To Make Jamie Oliver Blackened Chicken With Quinoa Salad
1. Chop-Chop The Veggies
Rinse quinoa in a fine colander until water runs clear. Transfer it to a medium pot with water.
Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender and a white “tail” appears around each grain for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the spinach by removing the stems. Chop off the root end of the spring onions and continue to slice the spring onions in a circular motion.
Cut one ripe mango and avocado into chunks, and slice mixed bell peppers into strips.
2. Don’t Skip This One
In a blender, add chopped coriander, trimmed spring onions, chopped spinach, and one chili in a blender. Blend it all until finely chopped.
In a bowl, add the chicken. Sprinkle one teaspoon of allspice and spiced paprika.
Fry tossed chicken with olive oil in a frying pan by turning after a few minutes until cooked. Once fried, add chopped bell peppers to the frying pan as well.
3. It’s All Yours
Now in a bowl, toss spinach mixture with cooked quinoa. Squeeze over the lime juice, pour the extra virgin olive oil, and add salt.
Mix mango chunks and cooked peppers over the quinoa. Mix everything until mango chunks are well coated.
Cut fried chicken into slices, toss it in yogurt, and add to the salad. Crumble over the feta cheese, scatter over the remaining coriander leaves, and snip over the cress.
How Will Jamie Oliver Blackened Chicken With Quinoa Salad Look And Taste Like?
Jamie Oliver’s blackened chicken with quinoa salad is a dish that delivers on both flavor and quality. The chicken is seasoned with a blend of spices, then pan-fried until the skin is crisp and the meat is cooked through.
The result is a juicy and flavorful chicken that pairs perfectly with a light quinoa salad. If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious meal, look no further than blackened chicken with quinoa salad.
This dish is packed with nutrients and has a balance of protein, carbs, and healthy fats. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be on the table in under an hour.
Jamie Oliver Blackened Chicken With Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Frying Pan
- Chopping Board
For Quinoa Salad
- 300 g Quinoa
- 50 g Feta Cheese
- 2 tablespoon Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Limes (freshly squeezed)
- 4 Spring Onions (chopped)
- 1 large Ripe Mango (cut into chunks)
- 1 Ripe Avocado (cut into chunks)
- 100 g Baby Spinach (chopped)
- 1 bunch Fresh Coriander
- 1 Fresh Red Chili
- 250 g Water Cress
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 200 g Chicken Breasts
- 4 tablespoon Fat-Free Yogurt
- ½ teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 mixed Bell Peppers
- 1 teaspoon Ground All Spice
- 1 teaspoon Spiced Paprika
- Rinse quinoa in a fine colander until water runs clear. Transfer it to a medium pot with water.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender and a white “tail” appears around each grain for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the spinach by removing the stems. Chop off the root end of the spring onions and continue to slice the spring onions in a circular motion.
- Cut one ripe mango and avocado into chunks, and slice mixed bell peppers into strips.
- In a blender, add chopped coriander, trimmed spring onions, chopped spinach, and one chili in a blender.
- Blend it all until finely chopped.
- In a bowl, add the chicken. Sprinkle one teaspoon of allspice and spiced paprika.
- Fry tossed chicken with olive oil in a frying pan by turning after a few minutes until cooked.
- Once fried, add chopped bell peppers to the frying pan as well.
- Now in a bowl, toss spinach mixture with cooked quinoa.
- Squeeze over the lime juice, pour the extra virgin olive oil, and add salt.
- Mix mango chunks and cooked peppers over the quinoa.
- Mix everything until mango chunks are well coated.
- Cut fried chicken into slices, toss it in yogurt, and add to the salad.
- Crumble over the feta cheese, scatter over the remaining coriander leaves, and snip over the cress.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is blackened chicken?
Blackened chicken is a dish that typically features chicken that has been coated in a spice blend and then pan-fried or grilled.
The result is a flavorful, slightly charred piece of chicken that can be enjoyed on its own or as part of a larger dish, like this blackened chicken with quinoa salad.
What are the benefits of blackening chicken?
In addition to being delicious, blackening chicken can also be a healthy cooking method. When done correctly, blackening chicken can help to seal in moisture and keep the meat tender and juicy.
Additionally, the spice blend used to coat the chicken can add important nutrients, like antioxidants, to your meal.
What are some tips for blackening chicken?
If you’re new to blackening chicken, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, make sure your chicken is dry before coating it in the spices. Otherwise, the spices will not stick as well and you’ll end up with uneven coverage.
Second, don’t be afraid to use plenty of spice blend – it should completely cover the surface of the chicken.
And finally, make sure your pan or grill is hot before adding the chicken – this will help to create that perfect char.
Can I replace the chicken with fish?
For more flavorful blackened chicken with quinoa salad, replace the chicken with fish. This can be any type of fish that you like, but a white fish such as cod or halibut works well.
The fish is cooked in the same way as the chicken, but it does not take as long to cook so it is important to keep an eye on it.
This was it about the recipe! Tell me how well you like it in the comments below. Also, leave your suggestions and queries in the comments and I’ll try y best to help you. Till then, happy eating!