Black-eyed peas and rice is a healthy and comfy meal. It is something everyone should learn to make. It also satiates hunger and is really delicious.
Black-eyed peas and rice is a healthy bowl of rice meal. Using different vegetables makes this dish delicious and colorful. You need to do overnight preparation for this recipe. But don’t be worried as it is a simple and easy recipe.
To make black-eyed peas and rice, soak the beans in cold water overnight. In a pot, heat oil and cook ham in it. Then, add green bell peppers, onions, and garlic to it and saute them for 10 minutes. Add black-eyed peas, water, paprika, bay leaves, salt, and black pepper. Cover with a lid and cook for 40-50 minutes. Lastly, add the cooked rice to it and cook for some time.
This was just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are many other recipes that you can make with rice, I highly recommend you to check them as well.
1. Sushi Rice– Sushi rice is different from plain steamed rice. It is made from short-grained rice is flavored with vinegar. Sugar and salt are also used as additional seasonings for the rice.
2. Coconut Curry Noodle Bowl– Coconut curry bowl noodle is a perfect summer meal. These coconut curry noodles are healthy, flavorful, and saucy. This recipe is a perfect summer meal for all noodle lovers.
3. Pho Rice Noodles– Pho rice noodles consist of a delicious broth, chewy noodles, and tender sirloin. It has a variety of strong, flavorful and aromatic spices.
4. Mexican Rice– Mexican rice is a delicious rice dish made with vegetables, spices, broth, and rice. It is delicious and really easy to make. You can make it in no time. You can serve it with a spicy curry.
Ingredients for Black-Eyed Peas and Rice
|Black-Eyed Peas||1 cup|
|Olive Oil||1 tablespoon|
|Lean Ham (diced)||1 cup|
|Green Bell Pepper (chopped)||½ cup|
|Garlic (minced)||1 clove|
|Salt and Ground Black Pepper||To taste|
|Cooked Rice||3 cups|
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||50 Minutes||8 Hours||9 Hours 5 Minutes|
Black-Eyed Peas And Rice Recipe
- Take a container of cold water and add black-eyed peas to it. Let it rest overnight or a minimum of 8 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- In a pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Cook ham in it until it gets brown. Add green bell peppers, onions, and garlic to it. Saute them till the onions get tender. This may take 10 minutes. Add black-eyed peas, water, paprika, bay leaves, salt, and black pepper to it and cover the pot. Cook the peas for 40-50 minutes till they get tender.
- Strain the bay leaves from this mixture and add cooked rice to it. Reduce the flame to low and cook till all the liquid evaporates.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional Breakdown of Black-Eyed Peas and Rice