Black-eyed peas and rice is a healthy and comfy meal. It is something everyone should learn to make. It also satiates hunger and is really delicious.
Black-eyed peas and rice is a healthy bowl of rice meal. Using different vegetables makes this dish delicious and colorful. You need to do overnight preparation for this recipe. But don’t be worried as it is a simple and easy recipe.
To make black-eyed peas and rice, soak the beans in cold water overnight. In a pot, heat oil and cook ham in it. Then, add green bell peppers, onions, and garlic to it and saute them for 10 minutes. Add black-eyed peas, water, paprika, bay leaves, salt, and black pepper. Cover with a lid and cook for 40-50 minutes. Lastly, add the cooked rice to it and cook for some time.
This was just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are many other recipes that you can make with rice, I highly recommend you to check them as well.
Other Bread Recipes That You Can Try
- Buttermilk Spoon Bread Recipe
- Spinach Spoon Bread Recipe
- Golden Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- DownEast Maine Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Sweet Potato Rolls Recipe
- Crumbly And Fluffy Angel Biscuits Recipe
- Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
- Brioche Rolls Recipe
- Christmas Tree Bread Recipe
- Ciabatta Stuffing Recipe
Ingredients for Black-Eyed Peas and Rice
|Black-Eyed Peas||1 cup|
|Olive Oil||1 tablespoon|
|Lean Ham (diced)||1 cup|
|Green Bell Pepper (chopped)||½ cup|
|Garlic (minced)||1 clove|
|Salt and Ground Black Pepper||To taste|
|Cooked Rice||3 cups|
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||50 Minutes||8 Hours||9 Hours 5 Minutes|
Black-Eyed Peas And Rice Recipe
- Take a container of cold water and add black-eyed peas to it. Let it rest overnight or a minimum of 8 hours. Drain and rinse well.
- In a pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Cook ham in it until it gets brown. Add green bell peppers, onions, and garlic to it. Saute them till the onions get tender. This may take 10 minutes. Add black-eyed peas, water, paprika, bay leaves, salt, and black pepper to it and cover the pot. Cook the peas for 40-50 minutes till they get tender.
- Strain the bay leaves from this mixture and add cooked rice to it. Reduce the flame to low and cook till all the liquid evaporates.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional Breakdown of Black-Eyed Peas and Rice