The recipe I am going to share is from Punjabi cuisine. I am talking about black chickpeas. It is a healthy recipe. Black chickpeas are made with spices, tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, and chilies.
This recipe is perfect for vegetarians who want to add some protein to their diet. Black chickpea serves this purpose perfectly. They contain a lot of protein and fiber and are a complete meal itself. Because of the low-calorie count, it is also recommended to diabetic persons. It is a simple yet nutritious dish.
To make black chickpea, heat oil in it and sauté all the spices in it. Add onions, green chili, and ginger garlic paste and sauté. Stir in tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, mango powder, and red chili powder. Now, add soaked black chickpeas and sauté. Pour 3 cups of water and mix them well. Cook it for 8 whistles. Season it with garam masala and cilantro.
Out of fenugreek? Use any of the fenugreek substitutes. This is only an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Instant Pot Vegan Mac And Cheese– An easy and delicious option is the instant pot vegan mac and cheese recipe. This recipe is specially curated for vegan people as it uses vegan butter, almond milk, and vegan cheese.
2. Hobo Beans– When you want to spice up basic stewed beans, this recipe can certainly come in handy. Filled with beans, bacon, and ground beef, this makes a delicious supper for your family.
3. Goulash– Stewing meat and vegetables with seasonings and other spices, homemade Goulash is one of the best dishes ever. Tracing the origins back to Hungary, it is commonly eaten in many parts of Europe. A pure delight!
4. Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole– Yellow squash has a mild flavor, but in this recipe, squash’s flavor gets enhanced by flavorful chiles, jalapenos and red onions. If you do not want to spice up the dish, then you can use diced green chiles instead of jalapenos.
Ingredients For Black Chickpea
- 3 teaspoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 pods Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Dry Fenugreek Leaves
- Pinch Of Asafoetida
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Green Chili (slit)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Tomato (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 3 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Mango Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 cup Black Chana (soaked overnight)
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Black Chickpea?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|10 Minutes||20 Minutes||30 Minutes|
Steps To Make Black Chickpea
- Take a pressure cooker and heat 3 teaspoons of oil in it. Saute asafoetida, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, cardamom and dry fenugreek leaves.
- Add onions, green chilli and ginger garlic paste and sauté until the fragrance goes away. Stir in tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy and soft.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, mango powder and red chilli powder to it and cook on low flame till tomatoes release the oil.
- Now, add soaked black chickpeas and sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour 3 cups of water and mix them well. Cover and cook it for 8 whistles or until black chickpeas turn soft.
- Season it with garam masala, coriander and stir well.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional Breakdown of Black Chickpea
Let us know how much nutrition this healthy dish can offer you.