The recipe I am going to share is Indian Punjabi cuisine. I am talking about black chickpeas. It is a healthy recipe.
This recipe is perfect for vegetarians who want to add some protein to their diet. Black chickpea serves this purpose perfectly. They contain a lot of protein and fibre and are a complete meal itself. Because of the low-calorie count, it is also recommended to diabetic persons. It is a simple yet nutritious dish.
To make black chickpea, heat oil in it and sauté all the spices in it. Add onions, green chili and ginger garlic paste and sauté. Stir in tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, mango powder and red chilli powder. Now, add soaked black chickpeas and sauté. Pour 3 cups of water and mix them well. Cook it for 8 whistles. Season it with garam masala and coriander.
More specifications for this recipe will be given further in the recipe. You will see how easy this recipe is. Let’s see what ingredients you need for cooking this dish are. Grab them and get going with the recipe.
Ingredients For Black Chickpea
- 3 Tsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin / Jeera
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Pods Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf / Tej Patta
- 1 Tsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves / Kasuri Methi
- Pinch Of Hing / Asafoetida
- 1 Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Green Chilli (Slit)
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Cup Tomato (Finely Chopped)
- ½ Tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder / Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 3 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Mango Powder / Aamchur Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Cup Black Chana / Kala Chana (Soaked Overnight)
You can grab these ingredients at any supermarket. Or you may have them stocked up in your pantry already. You must be thinking about the time of preparation. So let’s take a look on that.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Black Chickpea?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|10 Minutes||20 Minutes||30 Minutes|
Within half an hour, this simple yet delicious dish will be ready to eat. Take note of the steps you need to follow to cook up this recipe.
Steps To Make Black Chickpea
- Take a pressure cooker and heat 3 teaspoons of oil in it. Saute asafetida, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, cardamom and dry fenugreek leaves.
- Add onions, green chilli and ginger garlic paste and sauté till the fragrance goes away. Stir in tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy and soft.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, mango powder and red chilli powder to it and cook on low flame till tomatoes release the oil.
- Now, add soaked black chickpeas and sauté for 1 minute.
- Pour 3 cups of water and mix them well. Cover and cook it for 8 whistles or until black chickpeas turn soft.
- Season it with garam masala, coriander and stir well.
- Serve hot.
You can serve them with rice or flatbread.
Nutritional Breakdown of Black Chickpea
Let us know how much nutrition this healthy dish can offer you.
Your doubts are most welcome in my comment section below. So, write them up and I will be replying to you with my best knowledge. Do give it a try and share its reviews too. You can also suggest to me some recipe which you want to learn about. I will surely get back to you for them. Till then, enjoy your dish!