Black bean sauce is a Chinese sauce that has a funky and spicy taste. In this post, let’s see how you can make this sauce at your home. The sauce can be used with soy sauce and other thickening agents such as onion and garlic.
Black bean sauce can be prepared by frying onions in oil and then add the chilies to the frying onions. Blend the soaked beans with onions and chilies. At last, add soy sauce and wine. Your sauce is ready to serve.
Also, here is a list of black bean substitutes that you can try. Make sure to follow the detailed recipe below so that you maintain the authenticity of the sauce. Before that, check out the other sauce recipes as well.
Other Sauce Recipes That You Can Try
- Orange Marmalade Recipe
- Gluten-Free Pesto Sauce Recipe
- Salsa Casera Recipe
- Salmorejo Recipe
- Chicken Liver Pate Recipe
- Truffle Sauce Recipe
- Tomato Basil Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Famous Dave’s BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Bacon Gravy Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Black Bean Sauce?
- Pan – Fry the onions in a pan until they turn golden brown.
- Blender – Blend everything in a blender to make a paste of thick consistency.
- Bowl – Transfer chilies, onion, wine, and sauce in a bowl.
- Knife – Check the consistency of the sauce with a knife.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Black Bean Sauce?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||30 Minutes||35 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Black Bean Sauce?
- Black Beans – Black beans will give this sauce a soft, creamy, and mild flavor.
- Soy Sauce – Soy sauce will add umami, sweet taste, and slight bitterness to black bean sauce.
- Sherry Wine – Sherry wine will add a sweet and nutty taste to the sauce.
- Vegetable Oil – Sauté onion and chilis in olive oil until brown and crispy.
- White Onion – White onions will add a slightly sweeter taste to the sauce.
- Green Chilis – Green chilies will add floral notes with smoky and spicy notes to the sauce.
Steps To Make Black Bean Sauce
1. The Basics
Take a hot pan and add one cup of oil in it. Now, add the minced onion and green chilis to it and fry them for twenty seconds until they turn golden brown.
Now take the fried onions and green chilis out in a bowl.
2. Blend And Serve
Put the soaked beans in a blender and blend them with fried onion and chilies to make a paste of it.
Now, pour a cup of sherry wine and soy sauce into it. Blend them again to make a paste of thick consistency.
Check the consistency with a knife; if it is not blended correctly, then give it one more blend so that it can form a thick paste.
How Will Black Bean Sauce Look And Taste Like?
Because of the strong flavor, fermented black beans are frequently paired with other strong flavors like, most commonly garlic and also chilies for heat. Fermented black beans are most widely used to make Chinese black bean sauce.
Black bean sauce is an important and popular ingredient in Chinese cuisine, particularly Cantonese and Sichuan cooking. Sharp, pungent, salty, and spicy with a hint of sweet, black bean sauce contributes a flavor to Chinese food like no other.
Black Bean Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups Fermented Black Beans
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Sherry Wine
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups White Onion (minced)
- 2 Green Chilis
- Heat 1 cup of vegetable oil in a hot pan and add the minced onion to it; fry them until they turn golden brown. Now take the onions out in a bowl.
- Add some chillies and fry them for almost 20 seconds, then take them out in a bowl.
- Put the soaked beans in a blender and blend them with fried onion and chillies to make a paste of it.
- Now add 1 cup of sherry wine and soy sauce into it and blend them again to make a paste of thick consistency.
- Check the consistency with a knife; if it is not blended correctly, then give it one more blend so that it can form a thick paste.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to store black bean sauce?
Stored in an airtight container in the fridge, this sauce will keep for at least two weeks. Some separation may occur, just give it a stir before using. This delicious Chinese condiment can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one-month.
Is black bean sauce healthy?
Chicken in black bean sauce is healthy if you do not add too much seasoning. In addition, the black beans have no cholesterol and little saturated fats, making them healthy for the heart.
Is black bean sauce spicy or sweet?
Black bean sauce is an important and popular ingredient in Chinese cuisine, particularly Cantonese and Sichuan cooking. It’s as common as an everyday condiment as ketchup is here. Sharp, pungent, salty and spicy with a hint of sweet, black bean sauce contributes a flavor to Chinese food like no other.
What is the flavor of black bean sauce?
Black bean sauce is made from fermented soybeans and it has a salty, sharp, a bit bitter and umami savoury taste.
I hope you’ve liked this recipe. If this black bean sauce amazed you and you really enjoyed cooking it, then please write to us about your experience and stay connected for more fabulous recipes. Bon appetite!