Black bean risotto is a delicious, hearty dish perfect for a winter meal. It is made with black beans, rice, and vegetables and contains various spices. The result is a creamy, flavorful dish that will leave you feeling satisfied.
The key to black bean risotto is patience. Slowly simmer the rice over low heat until it’s nice and tender. Once the rice is cooked, add in the black beans and some seasonings. Feel free to add a bit of garlic, onion powder, and black pepper. Top with some shredded cheese, and you’re good to go!
To richen and deepen the dish while keeping it vegan, you can blend half the beans until you get a smooth puree just before serving. Alternatively, add a splash of non-dairy milk or vegan butter. Besides this, if you want to give the crunchy texture, you can top the risotto with panko breadcrumbs.
Below is the set of instructions for this delicious risotto. With these steps, you’re ready to make your hearty risotto. So get started today, and see how easy and enjoyable it can be!
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Black Bean Risotto?
- Saucepan – Cook the vegetable broth until liquid is absorbed, and sauté the veggies until translucent and aromatic in a saucepan.
- Mixing Bowl – Mix the ingredients in a mixing bowl until they are well combined.
- Cooker – Cook the Arborio rice in a cooker until it is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Knife – Use a sharp knife to slice the onion and garlic into bite-sized pieces for cooking.
- Grater – Grate the parmesan cheese with the grater to add a gritty texture and a fruity and nutty taste to the recipe.
- Chopping Board – Place the chopping board as a protective surface under the veggies before chopping them.
- Spatula – Combine all the ingredients well with the help of a flat-surfaced spatula to avoid lumps.
- Serving Dish – Serve the creamy and flavorful dish on a serving dish topped with parsley and white wine.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Black Bean Risotto?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||30 Minutes||45 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Black Bean Risotto?
- Black Bean – Pre-soak the beans in a pot as risotto takes cooking time. They will give a soft, creamy, and mild flavor to this recipe.
- Arborio Rice – Risotto rice or Italian Arborio is generally used to make creamy rice dishes.
- Vegetable Broth – Vegetable broth will add and balance the flavor, and it will also add salt.
- White Wine – White wine will give crisp, citrusy flavors with floral aromas and a nutty buttery taste to your risotto.
- Parmesan Cheese – Grate the parmesan cheese with the grater to add a gritty texture and a nutty taste to the recipe.
- Onion – This forms the flavor foundation for this easy dish, and it will make the dish a bit more colorful.
- Garlic – Garlic will give a unique, savory flavor that borders on nutty when cooked with onion.
- Olive Oil – You will need olive oil to make the dressing for the salad.
- Salt – Use salt to enhance the recipe’s flavor and lend a savory taste to the recipe.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper will give the salad a rich, hearty, indulgent flavor.
- Parsley – Parsley will give a strong flavor to your dish.
Steps To Make a Black Bean Risotto
1. Slice Them Out
Start by chopping up the onion and mincing garlic into small pieces. Shred the Parmesan cheese with the help of the cheese grater for the topping.
2. Simmer The Stock And Sauté The Veggies
Cook one cup of arborio rice in a cooker until the rice is tender, for about 20 minutes.
In a large saucepan, heat vegetable broth over medium heat until the liquid is absorbed.
Once cooked, sauté chopped onions until they are soft and translucent. Now cook the minced garlic in olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan until softened and aromatic.
3. Simmer The Wine
Add the white wine to a saucepan, scrape the bits from the bottom and bring to a simmer. Let the quantity reduce for 2 to 3 minutes until it’s half the original volume.
4. The Final Step
Add one cup of black beans to the cooked white wine and stir well. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
Stir in shredded parmesan cheese in the mixture until the cheese melts. Put the rice on a serving dish, followed by sautéed veggies. Top with parsley and cooked mixture and serve immediately and enjoy.
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||36.1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9.8 g|
|Vitamin A||103.9 iu|
|Vitamin C||18.1 mg|
How Will Black Bean Risotto Look And Taste Like?
Black bean risotto is creamy, filling, and flavorful. The combination of hot risotto, the crispy and citrusy flavor of white wine, and the added savory and nutty taste from the parmesan cheese makes this one of the most satisfying meals you can make in one pot.
Black Bean Risotto Recipe
- 1 cup Black Beans
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ cup White Wine
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Parsley (optional)
- Add chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until softened and translucent for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Arborio rice and cook for 1 minute in a cooker.
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable broth over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, occasionally stirring, until rice is tender and most of the broth’s liquid has been absorbed for about 20 minutes.
- Add the white wine, scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan, and bring to a simmer.
- Let the wine reduce for 2 to 3 minutes until it’s half the original volume.
- Add black beans and white wine to the saucepan and stir well.
- Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in shredded parmesan cheese in the mixture until the cheese melts.
- Put the rice on a serving dish, followed by sauteed veggies. Top with parsley and cooked mixture, and serve immediately. Enjoy your black bean risotto.
If you love beans and rice, then this dish is for you! Black bean risotto is a hearty, flavorful, and easy-to-make meal that will leave you feeling satisfied. It’s also a great way to use up leftover cooked beans.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I substitute brown rice for risotto?
If you substitute brown rice for risotto, the final product will not be creamy because brown rice does not have enough starch. The texture will be different, but the dish will still be very delicious.
Do you need to pre-wash risotto rice?
Washing rice removes the necessary starches required to achieve a creamy consistency in risotto. So, it is advised not to wash the rice beforehand!
Are you supposed to rinse canned black beans?
It is advised to drain your canned black beans and give the beans a good rinse before using them for the risotto, as it will improve the flavor and texture of your risotto dish.