These cold winter nights make me crave something hot and spicy. I learnt a dish from my mother back in the days, which has been my go-to dish for this weather. It’s the black bean chili. It has the right amount of flavours to warm your body up.
It is a healthy dish that’s soothing and doesn’t make you feel overloaded even after you’ve had a complete bowl of it. Thinking about the softness of black beans, the tanginess of tomatoes and the hotness of smoked paprika brings butterflies to my stomach. If you have it once, you would want to eat it again and again.
The basic Black Bean Chili is very healthy and nourishing for the body. I shall talk about the nutritional value of the dish in the end. Also, for a little indulgence in the dish, you may top it off with some grated cheese. Without making you wait anymore, I am quickly going to share the list of ingredients with you all. A few ingredients and there you go.
Ingredients for Black Bean Chili
|Olive Oil||1 tbsp|
|Black Bean Cans||3 (15 oz)|
|Ground Turkey||½ lb|
|Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies Can||1 (15 oz)|
|Tomato Paste||3 oz|
|Chili Powder||To taste|
|Minced Garlic Cloves||4|
|Diced Yellow Onion||1|
|Dried Oregano||½ tsp|
|Smoked Paprika||2 tbsp|
Most of the ingredients would be available in your kitchen and others can be fetched from nearby supermarkets. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get started. Oh, wait! You all must be wondering how much time is needed to make this dish. Well, I’ve added a timetable down below for you all to refer to.
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||20 minutes||30 minutes|
Investing about 30 minutes will give you a delicious and healthy meal. So, why not give it a try. Now, let’s quickly jump into the process of cooking the Black Bean Chili.
Black Bean Chili Recipe
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil into a large pot and add garlic and onion to it. Cook over medium-low heat until the onion and garlic are softened.
- Add the ground turkey to the pot and sauté it for about 5-7 minutes until it is well cooked.
- Once the turkey is cooked, shred it with a fork or a spoon.
- Its time to add in the cans of beans and diced tomatoes with green chilies (both the cans undrained) and tomato paste. You can use plain diced tomatoes instead of diced tomatoes with green chiles to make the dish a little mild.
- Now, add chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and dried oregano to the pan. Stir the mixture well.
- Let it simmer for about 10-12 minutes until the flavours are blended properly.
- Top up with toppings of your choice and serve it.
Nutritional Breakdown of Black Bean Chili
It is important to understand how much nutrition you are gaining from a dish. The table below shows the nutrition content of the dish. Check it out for values in detail.
Note- The Nutritional Breakdown is for 1 serving.
How to make Black Bean Chili at Home | Video
I have added a video that will help in making Black Bean Chili step by step. Watch it before you start cooking. I hope it is a great help.
I hope your dish turns out really well and you come back for more dishes. Do share your experience and how your Black Bean Chili tasted. Leave down your suggestions or feedback. See you soon with more such stomach-filling recipes.