There are numerous recipes with very confusing names. Some of them have names in the language of the country they get originated from. Surfing my internet, I found out this recipe with its name in Mexican language. So it was pretty clear that it is Mexican cuisine. The recipe for today is Birria de Chivo Estilo Jalisco. It is a goat meat stew made with marinated meat. It is also known as Mexican Braised Goat and this dish is served from street carts to restaurants in Mexico.
Looking at the name, you must be very confused as to what it means. So to help you out and make you clear, it means Mexican Braised Goat. It is the goat meat recipe in a sauce and served with meat sauce and a hot sauce. This recipe is prepared for special occasions. It is a traditional dish in Mexico. This dish is served with tortillas.
Meat is slowly cooked until it becomes tender. What a great taste it will be. I am already impressed by all its information. And indeed cooking this dish will impress many souls. So make your day special by cooking up this recipe and bring joy on the table. Check out the recipe below and get going with it.
Ingredients for Birria de Chivo Estilo Jalisco
|Ancho Chile Peppers||3|
|White Vinegar||1 cup|
|Whole Black Peppercorns||15|
|Fresh Ginger Root||1 inch piece|
|Garlic Cloves||2 peeled|
|Ground Cumin||1 pinch|
|Goat Leg||4 ½ pounds|
For Meat Sauce
|Whole Black Peppercorns||3 whole|
|Plum Tomatoes||2 pounds|
|Garlic Cloves||2 peeled|
|Marjoram||1 pinch dried|
|Thyme||1 pinch dried|
|Ground Cumin||1 pinch|
For Hot Sauce
|Chiles de Arbol||30|
|White Vinegar||¼ cup|
|Whole Black Peppercorn||10|
|White Onions||2 minced|
The ingredients are easy to fetch from any supermarket. Before cooking it up let’s see how much time will it take to cook it up.
How Much Time Will It Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|35 minutes||4 hours 20 minutes||8 hours 10 minutes||13 hours 5 minutes|
As we all know, cooking meat is the most delicate process. We have to be very precise and careful while cooking meat. It requires all the attention as it should not be too raw or too soft. Attaining such texture is what requires skill and most importantly following the instructions properly to make this Mexican braised goat. So please take a note of them accurately.
Birria de Chivo Estilo Jalisco Recipe
- Take a pot of water and bring it to boil. To it add ancho chile peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the flame and keep aside for 10 minutes so that chiles soak hot water.
- In a blending jar, blend chiles, 1 cup vinegar, ginger, 2 garlic cloves, 15 peppercorns, 3 cloves, 1 pinch marjoram, 1 pinch cumin and 1 pinch thyme. Blend till the paste turns smooth. Strain this marinade in a separate bowl.
- In another bowl, add goat and add the marinade. Mix it well to coat the meat completely. Cover it and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Set the oven on preheat mode to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Till then transfer the meat into a baking dish and cover it with aluminium foil or lid.
- Bake it till the meat gets tender. This will take about 3 ½ hours. Now, remove the covering from it and cook again for 15 minutes until the meat gets brown. Cover the meat again to keep it warm. In a container, pour the meat juice and preserve it.
- Take a large pot of water and bring it to boil. Add tomatoes and boil them for 5-10 minutes until they become soft. Drain the tomatoes and cool them.
- Peel the tomatoes and put it in the blender with the preserved meat juice, 2 cups water, 3 peppercorn, 2 cloves, 2 garlic cloves with 1 pinch of thyme, marjoram and cumin. Blend to make this meat sauce smooth.
- Take a small saucepan and add meat sauce and salt to it. Bring it to boil. After a boil, reduce the flame to medium.
- Take a pot of water and bring it to boil. To it add ancho chile peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the chiles.
- In a blending jar, blend the chiles, ¼ cup vinegar, 10 peppercorns, 1 garlic clove and salt into a smooth hot sauce. Strain it into a glass.
- Chop the meat into bite-sized pieces and serve them with hot sauce and meat sauce. Lastly, sprinkle onions over the meat.
A time-consuming recipe but worth trying. Corn tortillas and refried beans always accompany this meat. All you have to do is just be patient and follow all the instructions with care.
Nutritional Breakdown of Birria de Chivo Estilo Jalisco
How to Make Birria de Chivo Estilo Jalisco at Home | Video
Having trouble while making the dish? Don’t worry if you are unclear of some steps. I have uploaded the video of the steps involved in this recipe so watch it and cook it as per it.
After trying the recipe, do share your reviews in the comment section. And for those who are having a query related to the recipe, feel free to ask your questions in the comment section. I will revert you with the best possible solution. Enjoy your meal.