I never thought I’d come across a sweet snack that is made from eggplant. But here I am. Berenjenas Con Miel is a sweet and savory snack made with eggplant, flour, milk, seas salt, and honey. This weird but delicious snack is really simple to make and just takes 5 minutes to cook if I am not counting the additional time.
Berenjenas Con Miel is a fried eggplant and honey dish. It is a classic dish of Moorish origin and is served across Granada, Córdoba, Málaga, and Jaén. This dish is also popular in a restaurant in Washington DC, named Jaleo.
To make Berenjenas Con Miel, place eggplants sprinkled with kosher salt in between two baking sheets. Press them firmly and let them rest for 20 minutes to remove the leftover juice. Soak them in a milk bowl, cover them, and refrigerate them overnight. Then, coat them with flour and fry until golden brown. Sprinkle some sea salt and drizzle honey over them.
This is just a brief of the recipe. More details regarding the recipe are mentioned below. Also, there are other recipes that you can have as starters, let’s check them out.
1. Pan Con Tamate– It is a Spanish dish that involves no cooking at all, except making the bread crispy. It is quite a simple recipe that will be loved at parties or as a side dish with a salad.
2. Southern Fried Okra– Fried Okra is a side dish that can be accompanied by anything savory. The trick to making fried okra crispy is to use fresh okra.
3. Pork Patties– Pork patties are very comfortable food that anyone should have. These pork patties can be used as an evening snack or you can have them in your burger as well.
4. Beef Bouillon– Beef can be used as a base ingredient in many soups. This beef bouillon is very simple to make at home. It is a clear seasoned soup with no solid ingredients.
Ingredients For Berenjenas Con Miel
- 4 Japanese Eggplants (trimmed, cut crosswise)
- 2 tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 2 1/2 cups Whole Milk
- Canola Oil (for frying)
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- Lemon Zest (finely grated)
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Berenjenas Con Miel?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Additional time||Total time|
|25 Minutes||5 Minutes||2 Hours||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
Steps To Make Berenjenas Con Miel
- Layer the eggplants on the rack over a large rimmed baking sheet. Season them with kosher salt. Place another baking sheet over them and press firmly. Now, let theem rest for about 20 minutes. After this, press again to release the juice from the eggplant.
- Then, transfer them to a large bowl to soak them in milk. Cover the bowl and make sure to refrigerate it for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Take a large cast-iron skillet and heat an inch of oil in it to 350oF.
- Now, add flour to a shallow bowl. Remove the eggplant from the milk and shake off the excess liquid. Coat them with the flour and place them in the oil.
- Fry them until they turn golden brown. This may take 3-5 minutes.
- When they are cooked, take them out. Then, place this on a towel-lined baking sheet and season with sea salt.
- Transfer the eggplant to a serving plate and drizzle some honey on them. Sprinkle some more sea salt.
- Garnish them with lemon zest and serve immediately.
Nutritional Breakdown of Berenjenas Con Miel