Today I will be sharing a recipe with you that we throw away every time after we use its bulb. The recipe is the beet greens, made of the leaves we cut out from the beetroot.
I used to wonder; green leafy vegetables are so good for our health. But while using the beetroot, we chop the leaves and discard them immediately. Why cannot they be used to make something? They must be as nutritious as other green leafy vegetables. This made me so curious that I searched the internet over this thought of mine. What I found will amaze you. Yes, beet greens can be used to make a dish. The recipe for the beet greens is simple.
The cooking process of beet greens starts with boiling the beet greens in salted water and cook them until they get tender. Cool them down by immersing them in cold water. Drain and chop them. In a pan, sauté garlic and red pepper flakes in some olive oil till they give a certain fragrance. Add the beet greens to it with some salt and pepper, stir and serve hot.
The process I shared with you is a summary. You will know the specifications of this recipe further. This dish is very healthy with lots of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in it. It serves various health benefits like boosting up the immunity system. But before going to the full recipe, let’s check out some other healthy salads as well.
1. Pea And Peanut Salad– Pea and peanut salad is a crunchy and refreshing recipe and a different approach from traditional salads. It is a loved recipe even by people who don’t really like peas. It is also very easy to make doesn’t take much time.
2. Cabbage And Carrot Slaw– A healthy slaw is one of the best recipes that can be made for a picnic or a potluck. This salad a bowl of happiness and health. This simple and light dish will be a perfect side dish for any of your meals.
3. Yorkshire Pudding– It is an easy-to-make healthy recipe that you can enjoy for your breakfast or a starter. In fact, it is a common starter dish in England. It has four simple ingredients and an easy cooking process.
4. Roasted Sunflower Seeds– Sunflowers are one of the most beautiful and attractive flowers. Sunflowers are also an excellent source of nutrients that are essential for our bodies.
Beet Greens Recipe
- 2 Bunches Beet Greens
- 1 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- ¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Lemon
- Take a large pot and add beet greens with some salt and water. Bring it to a boil and cook till the content gets tender. Once done, drain the leaves and stems into a colander and immerse them in cold water immediately. This will stop the cooking process. As the greens get cold, drain them again and chop them roughly.
- Take a large skillet and heat some olive oil in it over medium flame. Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the skillet and cook till they get fragrant. Lastly, add the greens to the oil and stir them well.
- Season with salt and pepper as per the taste and cook till the greens get hot again.
- Serve hot.
Try this recipe and let me know how well you liked it in the comments below. If you have any suggestions or queries, let me know in the comments below as well. I will try to help in the best way possible. Till then, happy eating!