Today I will be sharing a recipe with you that we throw away everytime after we use its bulb. The recipe is the beet greens made of the leaves we cut out from the beetroot.
I used to wonder; green leafy vegetables are so good for our health. But while using the beetroot, we chop the leaves and discard them immediately. Why cannot they be used to make something? They must be as nutritious as other green leafy vegetables. This made me so curious that I searched the internet over this thought of mine. What I found will amaze you. Yes, beet greens can be used to make a dish. The recipe of the beet greens is simple.
The cooking process of Beet Greens starts with boiling the beet greens in salted water and cook them until they get tender. Cool them down by immersing them in cold water. Drain and chop them. In a pan, sauté garlic and red pepper flakes in some olive oil till they give certain fragrance. Add the beet greens to it with some salt and pepper, stir and serve hot.
The process I shared with you is a summary. You will know the specifications of this recipe further. This dish is very healthy with lots of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in it. It serves various health benefits like boosting up the immunity system. Take note of the recipe, starting with the ingredients first.
Ingredients for Beet Greens
- 2 bunches Beet Greens (stems removed)
- 1 tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (to taste)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- 2 Lemons (quartered)
These ingredients will be easy to find in your pantry too. Else you can get them from the grocery store. So, do not worry about collecting them. Just look at the time required to prepare this recipe, followed by the instructions.
How Much Time It Will Take To Prepare Beet Greens?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||10 minutes||20 minutes|
It is an easy recipe. A good meal in just 20 minutes will be a great deal for a busy day. You can make it without being time-bound. So take a look at the instructions below and get going.
Steps To Make Beet Greens
- Take a large pot and add beet greens with some salt and water. Bring it to boil and cook till the content gets tender. Once done, drain the leaves and stems into a colander and immerse them in cold water immediately. This will stop the cooking process. As the greens get cold, drain them again and chop them roughly.
- Take a large skillet and heat some olive oil in it over medium flame. Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the skillet and cook till they get fragrant. Lastly, add the greens to the oil and stir them well.
- Season with salt and pepper as per the taste and cook till the greens get hot again.
- Serve hot.
Note- If you want to do some prior preparation, then you can blanch the greens 3 days prior.
The sautéed beet greens have a similar flavor to that of Kale. This healthy recipe should be made atleast once. Make sure you give this a try and let me know your reviews for them.
Nutritional Breakdown of Beet Greens
No wonder greens give the best nutrition to our body. Let’s see what nutrition does sautéed beet greens provide.
How to Make Beet Greens at Home | Video
I have uploaded the video. If you have any recipe in mind, then feel free to share it with me. I will be glad to share it with you.
In case you have any doubt regarding the recipe then I have uploaded the video. Watch the video to clear your doubts. If the video does not resolve your query, then write it up in the comment section below. I will try to solve them. Now give the recipe a try and enjoy your food.