Bacon gravy recipe is a delicious and flavorful gravy that can elevate any meal to the next level. It is made of milk and bacon grease and can be served with biscuits. So, let’s see how you can make this appetizing gravy at your home.
Bacon gravy’s recipe can be made by cooking bacon slices until they turn crispy. Now, add the bacon grease and flour in a skillet to form a roux. Then, add milk and whisk. Simmer for 10 minutes and add salt and pepper. At last, crumble the bacon until the mixture simmers.
For the best results, use thick-cut bacon. Also, you can also use broth instead of milk, but I always prefer to use milk to maintain the flavors of the gravy. The recipe is my favorite dip to have with biscuits during breakfast time. The fat I like to use in the gravy is the bacon grease.
Now, let’s see how you can make the gravy at your home. Just follow the steps below and prepare the recipe. Before that, check out the other sauce recipes as well.
Other Sauce Recipes That You Can Try
- Calabrian Sauce Recipe
- Melba Sauce Recipe
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
- Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
- Mexican Adobo Sauce Recipe
- Thousand Island Dressing Recipe
- Cherry Sauce Recipe
- Grandma Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- Sherry Sauce Recipe
- Cranberry Mayo Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Bacon Gravy?
- Large Skillet – Cook all the ingredients in the large skillet.
- Spatula – Use spatula to combine ingredients.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Bacon Gravy?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||5 Minutes||10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Bacon Gravy ?
- Bacon – By adding bacon, you can make flavorful and rich gravy.
- Milk – Add milk for the creamy texture of the gravy.
- All-Purpose Flour – I have used all-purpose flour to thicken the gravy.
- Bacon Grease – Bacon grease is used as a fat for this recipe. It adds extra flavors to the gravy.
- Salt – Add a pinch of salt to the balance the taste of the gravy.
- Black Pepper – Spice up the gravy with black pepper.
Steps To Make Bacon Gravy
1. Cook Bacon
Begin by preheating a large skillet over medium heat. While the skillet is heating up, slice the bacon into small pieces and add them to the skillet. Cook the bacon until it becomes crispy, which should take about ten minutes.
Once the bacon is crispy, use a slotted spoon to remove it from the skillet and set it aside on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Next, add the bacon grease to the skillet, which will serve as the base for the gravy.
2. Add Flour And Whisk
Slowly pour the milk into the skillet, while continuing to whisk the flour mixture. The milk and flour mixture will get thicken and turn into a smooth, creamy gravy. Let the mixture simmer for ten minutes.
As the mixture simmers, season the gravy with salt and pepper. Then, crumble the bacon into small pieces and add it to the skillet. Stir the bacon into the mixture and let it simmer for a few more minutes.
Your bacon gravy is now ready to serve! Spoon it over biscuits, eggs, or any other breakfast foods that you like.
How Will A Bacon Gravy Look And Taste Like?
Bacon Gravy sauce is savory and rich. It has thick consistency and has amazing bacon chunks. Taste wise, it’s salty and has chunky texture due to bacon pieces. The gravy is in white cream color. Moreover, The smokiness of the bacon is balanced by the creaminess of the milk creates amazing combo.
The texture is thick and velvety, coating whatever it’s poured over in a luscious layer of bacon goodness. When you indulge in the sauce, it creates memorable experience.
Bacon Gravy Recipe
- Large Skillet
- 3 Slices Of Bacon
- 2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper Each
- 2 tablespoon Bacon Grease
- Preheat the large skillet on medium heat and add slices of bacon to the skillet. Cook until it will become crispy.
- Remove the skillet from heat and from the skillet, remove bacon. Now, add bacon grease to the skillet.
- To bacon grease, add flour and whisk. Cook it for a minute.
- In the skillet, add milk with flour mixture and whisk them together.
- Simmer the milk mixture for 10 minutes.
- In the mixture, add salt and pepper with bacon gravy. Crumble the bacon until the mixture simmers.
- Bacon gravy is ready to serve!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What ingredients do I need to make bacon gravy?
To make bacon gravy, you will need bacon, flour, milk or cream, salt, pepper, and possibly other seasonings like garlic powder or paprika.
Can I make bacon gravy ahead of time?
Bacon gravy is best made fresh and served immediately, but you can make it ahead of time and reheat it if needed. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
What are some ways to serve bacon gravy?
Bacon gravy is most commonly served with breakfast foods like biscuits, eggs, and sausage.
Can I make bacon gravy without flour?
Flour is used to thicken the gravy and give it a smooth, creamy texture. If you prefer to make a gluten-free or low-carb version, you can try using a thickening agent like cornstarch or xanthan gum instead of flour.
Can I use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon for bacon gravy?
Yes you can! But make sure that turkey bacon may produce less drippings than regular bacon, so you may need to adjust the amount of flour you use to create the roux.
I hope this bacon gravy recipe has left you feeling inspired to get creative in the kitchen. As we all know, bacon makes everything better, and this gravy is no exception. The combination of salty, savory bacon and rich, creamy gravy is impeccable.
So go ahead, give this recipe a try, and let me know how it turns out. I have a feeling it’s going to become a new favorite in your recipe collection.