Christmas is when we all crave a bit of sugar and spice. What is the best combination of sugar and spice? Apples and cinnamon-flavored desserts, hands down! Apple walnut cakes are the perfect combination of gooey cake with crunch from the walnuts, the perfect treat for Christmas! Let us see how you can make one of these rights at home!
You may have tried several apple walnut cakes before at some point. But, somehow, some of the options just don’t hit the spot! So, for the Christmas treats you would be giving this year, nothing is better than one of the best homemade apple walnut cakes.
This recipe will give you a cake that is just the right amount of soft and chewy, combined with all the other marvelous flavors and textures. Moreover, the best part about this recipe is that it is beginner friendly and will take no time to put together!
So, if some fun time baking with your family is what you are looking for, this cake should be on your bucket list! Moreover, this recipe is straightforward, so you won’t have to worry about a huge mess!
This recipe has a complete guide on how to make this apple walnut cake at home. In this article, you will also find details about the equipment needed to make this cake at home and nutritional information. So, let us get started with this perfect winter treat!
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Apple Walnut Cake?
- Measuring Cups – There is no baking without precise measurements, for which measuring cups are vital.
- Measuring Spoons – A set of measuring spoons will be needed to measure ingredients added to this recipe in much smaller quantities.
- Bowl – This recipe will need three large bowls, each for a different purpose.
- Peeler – To core the apples and peel them, you will need a sturdy peeler.
- Large Knife – A sharp knife will make it much easier to slice apples.
- Cutting Board – A cutting board will be needed to slice the apples easily.
- Sieve – For cakes, it is important to ensure that your batter does not turn out lumpy. The best way to avoid that is by sifting all the dry ingredients before adding them to the batter.
- Whisk – You will need a large whisk to whip up the batter easily.
- Silicone Spatula – A silicone spatula will help easily transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Cake Pan – To get a yield of 12 servings, you will need a cake pan approximately 9 inches by 12 inches.
- Pastry Brush – A pastry brush will be handy while greasing the cake pan.
- Baking Tray – Lastly, you will need a baking tray to bake the cakes in the oven.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Apple Walnut Cake?
|Preparation Time||Baking Time||Total Time|
|35 Minutes||45 Minutes||1 Hour 20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Apple Walnut Cake?
- All-Purpose Flour – To get that perfect texture and a yield of 12 servings, you will need 3 cups of all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Apples – The star ingredient of this recipe is apples, of course! This recipe will need three whole apples of your choice.
- White Sugar – For some sweetness, you will need a single cup of white sugar, granulated or caster.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar adds a lot of moisture to cakes and gives them a gooey caramel flavor. This recipe needs one cup of light brown sugar.
- Walnuts – The second-star ingredient of this recipe is walnuts, so here, one cup of chopped or broken walnuts.
- Baking Soda – One teaspoon of baking soda is the main leavening agent used in this recipe for the cake to get a soft texture.
- Vegetable Oil – For this recipe, we will use one ¼ cups of vegetable oil in place of butter to help keep the cake moist for a longer time. You can also use sunflower oil or any other oil that does not have a pungent smell or flavor.
- Eggs – Eggs help bind all the ingredients together; for this recipe, you will need two large eggs.
- Vanilla Extract – Pour ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract as a flavor enhancer.
- Cinnamon – The spice that gives this cake a real Christmas flavor is cinnamon! This recipe needs one teaspoon of ground cinnamon for that perfect kick of spice.
- Salt – Lastly, add ½ teaspoon of salt, which is one of the main flavor enhancers of any recipe.
Steps To Make Apple Walnut Cake
1. Prep Step
Regarding baking, pre-preparations are just as important as any other step. For that, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, with a pastry brush, grease the cake pan with unsalted butter, just enough to cover all the sides.
Then, dust the cake pan with enough flour to cover all the sides. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl, and set aside. Peel apples, core the center, and slice them up. Mix the apples with the white sugar and set aside.
2. Make The Batter And Bake The Cake
After all your pre-preparations are done, you can begin making the batter. For that, in a large bowl, mix the oil, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add the apple mixture and fold it, followed by the sifted dry ingredients.
Finally, fold the chopped or broken walnuts into the batter until combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan with the help of a silicone spatula. Place the pan on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
After the 45-minute mark, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake to check if it is done. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is ready.
If not, let it bake for another 5 minutes. Place the cake on a cooling rack and let it cool completely. Then, slice and serve!
What Can Apple Walnut Cake Be Served With?
- Whipped Cream – If you want to go the traditional way, the best way to serve this decadent cake is simply with some sweet whipped cream.
- Vanilla Ice Cream – There is nothing better than a cold scoop of vanilla ice cream with a warm slice of apple walnut cake!
- Caramel Ice Cream – As the cake already has a malty flavor, you can add to it by combining it with a scoop of caramel ice cream.
- Caramel Sauce – If ice cream and whipped cream aren’t your things, caramel sauce accompanies apple walnut cake.
- Bourbon Caramel Sauce – Lastly, you can pair it with a rich bourbon caramel sauce to add a spicy flavor to the whole cake.
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||0.03 g|
|Vitamin A||3 IU|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
How Will The Apple Walnut Cake Look And Taste Like?
Once all the baking is over, you may wonder if what you made even turned out to be how it was supposed to. Well, in that case, it is always better to take a reference first and then figure out if what you made was right! Here is a reference for you!
As far as the way this cake will look, it will have a nice caramel-like crust. The brown crust is formed because of all the sugars combined and also due to the apples. The walnuts add a whole new dimension to how the cake turns out.
With flavor, it has a perfectly balanced sweet and malty flavor from the brown sugar. Moreover, the cake is exceptionally soft, also because it has baking soda and brown sugar added to it. All in all, it creates a wonderful harmony of flavors that is perfect for the holiday season!
Apple Walnut Cake Recipe
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 nos. Apples
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 nos. Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour the cake pan, just enough to cover all the sides.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Peel, core, and slice apples, mix them with white sugar, and keep them aside.
- Mix the eggs, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Fold in the apple mix and sifted dry ingredients. Finally, fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan and let the cake bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Once you insert a skewer into the center of the cake, and if it comes out clean, your cake is ready.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack and let it cool completely before serving!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can self-raising flour be used for this recipe?
No, self-raising flour has baking powder added, which is not needed in this recipe. So, it is better to use something other than self-raising flour for this recipe.
Can cake flour be used for this recipe?
Yes, you can use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Why are both white and brown sugar added to this recipe?
Both white and brown sugar add a different flavor and texture to the cake; hence, they are both added to this recipe.
Can pecans be added to this cake?
Yes, you can also add pecans to the cake if you like.
Is it necessary to use vegetable oil for this recipe?
You can also use sunflower oil or any other oil that does not have an intense flavor or smell in place of vegetable oil for this recipe.
Soft, fudgy, and malty, this cake is the perfect Christmas treat you need. The recipe needs only a few ingredients to bring together and is easy to execute, even for beginners. The added cinnamon creates a perfect balance of sweetness and spice for the holiday season!