Annatto oil is a natural orange-red food dye used to make a variety of Asian and Latin cuisines. The oil is very easy to make and can be made by using only 2 ingredients.
The ingredients used to make annatto oil are annatto seeds and olive oil. Annatto is a plant and each and every part, like seeds, leaf and root are used to make a myriad variety of medicine. The oil can be used in soups, stews, sauces and pasta.
Annatto oil can be made by adding oil and annatto seeds in a pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat when the color of the seeds changes to golden. Cool the mixture for 4 hours and strain the seeds. The oil is ready!
This was just an overview of the recipe and the step-by-step procedure is mentioned below. So, don’t forget to follow the detailed recipe below. Before that, check out the other sauce recipes as well.
1. Mango Chutney– Mango chutney is a great chutney that can add a sweet, tangy and spicy flavor to your daily life food. Today, let’s see how you can make this recipe very easily at your home.
2. Thousand Island Dressing– Add a tangy, creamy touch to your burgers, salads by making thousand island sauces at your home. Today, I have got an authentic recipe for the dip for you all.
3. Arrabbiata Sauce– The sauce originated in Rome, Italy. Arrabbiata means angry in the Italian language and has got a spicy flavor. The recipe is best made with dried red chili peppers but if you are not able to find them, then you can use red chili flakes.
4. Chana Dal Chutney– Chana dal is also known as Daria dal. The chutney is very hot and spicy due to the addition of red chilies. You can enjoy the chutney with poha, dosa and uttapam.
Annatto Oil Recipe
- 1½ tbsp Annatto seeds
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- In a pan, add oil and annatto seeds over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the color change to golden.
- Make sure you don't overheat.
- When the color changes to golden, remove the pan from heat and cool the mixture for 4 hours.
- Remove or strain the seeds and store them in the container.
I hope you have liked this recipe of Annatto Oil. Make sure to share this recipe with your friends and family, so they can also add some flavorful twist to their food.