You know the art of making restaurant-style fries? Well! This time take it to the next level by turning those fries into animal-style fries. These fries are packed with tons of flavors and are much better than the regular French fries. These fries were first served at In-N-Out and got instantly famous. You can make these delicious fries at home. So let’s try animal-style fries!
Animal style fries are crispy golden fries layered with American cheese, sauce, and caramelized onions. These layers are loaded with the flavors of cheese, onions, pickle relish, and many more. Well! You don’t need to pair these fries with a condiment or anything else. You can get frozen fries from the nearby store (in case you’re too lazy to slice potatoes).
The recipe for animal style fries is easy. Don’t believe me? Read the instructions below. But first, let’s have a look at the lists of equipment and ingredients below. Make animal fries now and enjoy this cheesy, delicious potato snack.
What Equipment Will You Need For Animal Style Fries?
- Bowl – You can serve these fries in small bowls. Also, prep the sauce for these fries in a small bowl.
- Pot – Soak the potatoes in a large pot containing lightly salted cold water. You can deep fry the potatoes in a large pot.
- Deep Frying Basket – Transfer the potatoes from the pot or a deep fryer to the tray using a spatula strainer or a deep frying basket.
- Spoon – Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl using a spoon.
- Roasting Tray – Let the potatoes drain on the paper towel over the roasting tray.
- Paper Towel – Drain the potatoes by putting them over the paper towel.
- Colander – Rinse and drain the potatoes in a colander.
- French Fry Cutter – Use a French fries cutter to get uniform-sized fries.
How Much Time Do You Need To Make Animal Style Fries?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|18 Minutes||20 Minutes||38 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need For Animal Style Fries?
- Potatoes – Cut potatoes into french fries to make animal-style fries. I’ve used about 32 ounces of sliced potatoes for this recipe.
- Onion – You need onions to make caramelized onions for this dish. Finely chop one large yellow onion and caramelize a half cup of this chopped onion.
- Butter – Butter caramelizes the onion and adds more flavor to it. Use two teaspoons of butter for cooking onions in the pan.
- Sugar – Brown sugar adds sweetness and gives a nice color to the onions. Combine a teaspoon of brown sugar with the onions in the pan.
- Salt – Salt enhances the flavor and softens the onions faster. Add a half teaspoon of salt to the onions in the pan. You need to add a pinch of salt to the water containing the potatoes. Also, season the fries with salt immediately after frying them.
- Water – Add a tablespoon of water to the onions if needed to make sure the onions don’t stick on the edges of the pan, or they don’t overcook.
- Oil – Oil is needed to fry the potatoes for animal-style fries. You can use any vegetable oil to make fries.
For animal fry sauce:
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise gives a sort of body to the sauce. It adds depth to the flavors in this sauce. Add all the ingredients to three tablespoons of mayonnaise in order to make the sauce for animal-style fries.
- Ketchup – Add one and a half tablespoons of ketchup to the mayonnaise to add a mildly sweet and tangy flavor to the sauce.
- Relish – Sweet pickle relish gives the delight of salty, tart, and sweet flavors all at once. Add a tablespoon of sweet pickle relish to the bowl containing the mayonnaise mixture.
- Sugar – Add a half teaspoon of sugar to balance the flavors and to add sweetness to the sauce.
- Vinegar – White vinegar gives a sweet and tart flavor to the sauce. It melds all the flavors in the sauce. Add a half teaspoon of white vinegar to the sauce.
- Cheese – I’ve used four slices of American cheese in the sauce to bring the taste of cheese to it. You can use more if you want.
Steps To Make Animal Style Fries
1. Caramelize The Onions
Melt butter in a frying pan and add brown sugar and salt to it. Cook the onion on low-medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes and let them turn brown, stirring occasionally. Add a teaspoon of water if needed.
2. Secret Sauce
Take a small bowl and combine mayonnaise and ketchup in it. Add pickled relish, salt, vinegar, American cheese, sugar, and pepper to it. Mix them well until all the ingredients combine to form a smooth sauce.
3. Fry The Potatoes
Rinse the potatoes (cut into finger-shaped pieces) and drain them. Then soak them in cold water and add a pinch of salt to it. Cover them and let them sit for about one hour. Remove the potatoes from the water and spread them on the roasting tray lined with a paper towel. Now, deep fry these potatoes in small batches. Once they’re done, season them with salt and set them aside.
Start assembling the animal-style fries while the fries are still warm. Transfer the fries to a serving bowl (or plate). Lay American cheese on them and then spoon caramelized onion on the cheese. Add a spoonful of sauce on top with chopped chives. The delicious animal-style fries are ready!
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Trans Fat||1 g|
|Vitamin A||114 IU|
|Vitamin C||6 mg|
How Will Animal Style Fries Look and Taste?
Grab your fork and dig into this crispy yet soggy mess! The scrumptious layers of cheese, sauce, and onions are all piled up on the fries. Who needs a condiment to enjoy these fries? Every forceful bite brings the delight of partially crispy and a little bit of soggy potato fries. All the flavors, from caramelized onions to American cheese on top, are melded together.
Animal Style Fries Recipe
- 32 ounces Frozen French Fries
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoons Water
For Animal Fry Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon White Vinegar
- 4 slices American Cheese
- Add butter to a frying pan and let it melt. Add brown sugar and salt to the pan. Cook the onion on low-medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes and let them turn brown, stirring occasionally. Add a teaspoon of water if needed.
- Combine ketchup with mayonnaise in a small bowl. Add pickled relish, salt, vinegar, American cheese, sugar, and pepper to it. Mix them well until all the ingredients combine to form a smooth sauce.
- Rinse the potatoes (cut into finger-shaped pieces) and drain them. Then soak them in cold water and add a pinch of salt to it. Cover them and let them sit for about one hour. Remove the potatoes from the water and spread them on the roasting tray lined with a paper towel. Now, deep fry these potatoes in small batches. Once they’re done, season them with salt and set them aside.
- Start assembling the animal-style fries while the fries are still warm. Transfer the fries to a serving bowl (or plate). Lay American cheese on them and then spoon caramelized onion on the cheese. Add a spoonful of sauce on top with chopped chives. The delicious animal-style fries are ready!
Tell me in the comments below if you like this recipe. You can also try our other amazing recipes.