Alton Brown’s gold cake is a delicious and fluffy vanilla cake. It doesn’t actually have any gold in it. It actually gets its name because of the flavor of the vanilla custard.
It is a classic French vanilla cake with the custard flavor made by using egg yolks in the batter. The cake, when baked, has a rich yellowish golden color. Thus, the name ‘gold cake.’
To make Alton Brown’s gold cake, whisk together sugar and vegetable shortening together. Then, add egg yolks and milk to it and mix well. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt.
Add this to the egg mixture and stir. Also, add vanilla. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Serve after it has cooled down.
To make classic Alton Brown’s gold cake, use a yellow cake mix instead of a white cake mix. Adding extra chocolate chips to the batter may seem like a good idea.
For a truly unique Gold Cake, consider using a different type of extract in place of the vanilla. Almond extract is a popular choice, but you could also experiment with other flavors like lemon or orange.
The key to a perfect sponge cake is not overbaking it. Be sure to check on your cake regularly towards the end of the baking time and take it out as soon as it is cooked through.
Out of shortening? Here is a list of shortening substitutes that you can use instead. This was a brief overview of the complete recipe, which you can find down below. The ingredients are the first step of any recipe you make.
But before going to the complete recipe, let’s check out some other recipes by some famous chefs.
1. Paula Deen’s Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake– This recipe is a great cake if you want to try a different cake recipe. It is spongey, fluffy sweet and packs a sour punch. It is quite easy to make too.
2. Bobby Flay’s Pizza Dough– The recipe is from a very famous chef named Bobby Flay. Bobby Flay is an American celebrity chef and a renowned television personality. He is the owner of many restaurants and has written many cookbooks as well.
3. Paula Deen’s Taco Soup– Do you know, soups are classified into two groups; clear and thick soups. From the clear category, my favorite soup is the taco soup. Taco soup from non other than the famous chef personality Paula Deen.
4. Alton Brown’s Grilled Sandwich– This recipe is nothing like the one you know. He makes a point about the authenticity of the name and believes in actually grilling the bread and the cheese, and only then calls it a ‘grilled cheese sandwich.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Alton Brown’s Gold Cake?
- Oven – Bake the batter for 20 minutes in the preheated oven until the edges of the cake pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cake Pans – Cake pans are used for baking the batter in the oven. They will yield ideal textures to the cake.
- Bowls – Whisk the ingredients in separate bowls for the best flavors.
- Wire Rack – Once the cake is done, keep it on the wire rack, and allow it to cool before serving.
- Spatula – Pour the mix into the prepared pans using a spatula.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Alton Brown’s Gold Cake?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||20 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Alton Brown’s Gold Cake?
- Vegetable Shortening – Use vegetable shortening as it traps more air bubbles and has a higher melting point than butter, making the cake rise a little higher, holding its shape during baking, and making an interior texture softer.
- Egg Yolks – The egg yolks will add flavor, enabling the batter to hold extra liquid and, consequently, extra sugar.
- Milk – Milk will help activate other ingredients in the cake batter. It will help everything mix together well and provides steam to help the cake rise.
- Vanilla Extract – Adding vanilla in cake will enhance all the other flavors in the recipe.
- Cake Flour – If you want your cake to be lighter and fluffier, use cake flour. It will produce the cake that are less dense.
- Baking Powder – Baking powder causes bubbles in the wet mixture to expand and thus leavening the mixture.
- Salt – Salt in cake will enhance the flavor of the other ingredients. It will also provide a balance to the sweetness of cake batter.
- Sugar – Add sugar in batter to keep the cake soft and moist.
Steps To Make Alton Brown’s Gold Cake
1. Let The Preparation Begin
First, you need to pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the cake pans with some shortening and keep them aside.
Whisk together sugar and the shortening in a bowl. Mix the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
Now add in the egg yolks and milk to the sugar mixture and mix it well. Once combines, whisk all the dry mixture and mix them well.
2. Bake The Golden Cake
Stir in vanilla extract to the prepared batter and mix it well. Pour the mix into the prepared pans.
Bake the batter for 18 to 20 minutes until the edges of the cake pull away from the sides of the pan and golden brown.
After they are done, remove them from the oven and keep them on the wire rack.
How Will Alton Brown’s Gold Cake Look And Taste Like?
Alton Brown’s gold cake is a delicious and fluffy vanilla cake that is just supreme. It doesn’t require fancy ingredients, but the ones needed for a regular cake. It has a rich yellowish golden color. You can make it in less than an hour.
This cake is the perfect combination of rich chocolate and fluffy sponge, with a hint of crunch from the sugar that are folded into the batter.
This cake is perfect for special occasions or simply when you want to treat yourself to something truly indulgent.
Alton Brown’s Gold Cake Recipe
- Cake Pans
- Wire Rack
- ¾ cup Vegetable Shortening
- 8 Egg Yolks
- ¾ cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups Cake Flour
- 3 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 ¼ cups Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- First, you need to pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the cake pans with some shortening and keep them aside.
- Whisk together sugar and the shortening in a bowl.
- Mix the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Now add in the egg yolks and milk to the sugar mixture and mix it well.
- Once combines, whisk all the dry mixture and mix them well.
- Stir in vanilla extract to the prepared batter and mix it well. Pour the mix into the prepared pans.
- Bake the batter for 18 to 20 minutes until the edges of the cake pull away from the sides of the pan and golden brown.
- After they are done, remove them from the oven and keep them on the wire rack.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Alton Brown’s Gold Cake?
Alton Brown’s Gold Cake is a cake that is made with gold leaf. It is a showstopper of a cake that is perfect for celebrations or special occasions.
How do you make Alton Brown’s Gold Cake?
The recipe for this cake is available on our website. You will need gold leaf, cake flour, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk.
What flavor is gold cake?
To start, note that both white and yellow cakes are vanilla cakes. Subtle differences in the flours and fats determine which cake is better suited for certain frostings (or even certain occasions).
What is a gold cake?
A butter cake in which the eggs yolks are used not the whites of eggs.
So are you ready to try this recipe? We welcome your thoughts and any other suggestions that you have regarding the recipe. Please reach us out by commenting your views and ideas in the box below.
We would love to add the necessary details and ideas of yours. Till then, happy eating!