Alton Brown’s gold cake is a delicious and fluffy vanilla cake that is just supreme. It doesn’t require fancy ingredients, but the ones needed for a regular cake. It has a rich yellowish golden color. You can make it in less than an hour.
The gold cake doesn’t actually have any gold in it. It actually gets its name because of the flavor of the vanilla custard. It is a classic French vanilla cake with the custard flavor made by using egg yolks in the batter. The cake, when baked, has a rich yellowish golden color. Thus, the name ‘gold cake.’
To make Alton Brown’s gold cake, whisk together sugar and vegetable shortening together. Then, add egg yolks and milk to it and mix well. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add this to the egg mixture and stir. Also, add vanilla. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Serve after it has cooled down.
This was a brief overview of the complete recipe, which you can find down below. The ingredients are the first step of any recipe you make. But before going to the complete recipe, let’s check out some other recipes by some famous chefs.
1. Paula Deen’s Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake– This recipe is a great cake if you want to try a different cake recipe. It is spongey, fluffy sweet and packs a sour punch. It is quite easy to make too.
2. Bobby Flay’s Pizza Dough– The recipe is from a very famous chef named Bobby Flay. Bobby Flay is an American celebrity chef and a renowned television personality. He is the owner of many restaurants and has written many cookbooks as well.
3. Paula Deen’s Taco Soup– Do you know, soups are classified into two groups; clear and thick soups. From the clear category, my favorite soup is the taco soup. Taco soup from non other than the famous chef personality Paula Deen.
4. Alton Brown’s Grilled Sandwich– This recipe is nothing like the one you know. He makes a point about the authenticity of the name and believes in actually grilling the bread and the cheese, and only then calls it a ‘grilled cheese sandwich.
Alton Brown’s Gold Cake Recipe
- Cake Pans
- ¾ cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 ¼ cups Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 8 Egg Yolks
- ¾ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- First, you need to pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease the cake pans with some shortening and keep them aside.
- Whisk together sugar and the shortening. Also, mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the egg yolks and milk to the sugar mixture and mix it well. Then, add all the dry mixture and mix them well.
- Also, add the vanilla extract to this batter and stir it well.
- Now, pour this mix into the pans and bake it for 18-20 minutes.
- After they are done, remove them from the oven and keep them on the cooling rack.
So are you ready to try this recipe? We welcome your thoughts and any other suggestions that you have regarding the recipe. Please reach us out by commenting your views and ideas in the box below. We would love to add the necessary details and ideas of yours. Till then, happy eating!