This Thanksgiving, experience the unforgettable combination of American cuisine and French flavors. Alton Brown onion dip is a way to enliven an American dip with the delight of French onion soup.
Alton Brown onion dip has onions seasoned with salt and white pepper. These onions are cooked in a pot and mixed with sour cream and mayonnaise. You can enjoy this dip with snacks, chips, and many other sides.
This dip is perfect to be enjoyed at the Thanksgiving feast. It’s deglazed with sherry vinegar and combined with spices like garlic powder and pepper. It can stay in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 days.
There are many ways to enjoy Alton Brown onion dip. You can add blue cheese to the classic recipe for a delicious and tangy dip that is perfect for parties or game day gatherings.
Try adding cooked bacon to the classic recipe. The result is a rich and savory dip that is perfect for satisfying hunger pangs.
Spicy onion dip is made by adding diced jalapeños or other chili peppers to the classic recipe. The result is a fiery and flavorful dip that will add some spice to your next party or gathering.
Let’s begin with the recipe for Alton Brown onion dip. Start off by reading the lists for equipment and ingredients mentioned below.
You must have all of these available at hand so that the recipe turns out to be as delicious as described below.
What's In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Alton Brown Onion Dip?
- Pot – To cook the onions for the onion dip, you need a large pot. In case you don’t have a pot, use a saucepan or a skillet.
- Bowl – Use a medium-sized bowl to combine all the ingredients of the onion dip.
- Mandoline Slicer – Thinly slice the peeled onions using a mandoline slicer for the recipe.
- Spatula – Stir the onions and combine them with other ingredients using a spatula.
- Spoon – Use a spoon to add the ingredients like spices, cream, or mayonnaise, etc., to the bowl and to the pot containing onions.
- Plastic Wrap – Cover the bowl containing onion, mayonnaise, cream, etc., tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it.
How Much Time Do You Need To Make Alton Brown Onion Dip?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||30 Minutes||35 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Alton Brown Onion Dip?
- Onions – Sauté thinly sliced four large yellow onions for onion dip, which is the ideal variety for caramelizing.
- Sour Cream – Add sour cream to add depth to the flavors of the onion dip and to make it creamy smooth.
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise will add more flavor and give a nice creamy texture to the dip.
- Sherry Vinegar – Add a few drops of sherry vinegar to deglaze the onions. Sherry vinegar helps caramelize the onions with a sweet and tart flavor.
- Olive Oil – Use a one-fourth cup of olive oil to cook the onions for this recipe.
- Baking Soda – Baking soda causes onions to soften quickly and helps in giving a nice texture to the onion dip.
- Garlic Powder – Garlic powder will add a mildly spicy seasoning flavor to the dip.
- White Pepper – Season the onion dip with freshly ground white pepper to enhance the flavor and to add some heat to the dip.
- Kosher Salt – You’ll need a tablespoon of kosher salt for this recipe. Kosher salt gives a mild seasoning flavor to the dip.
- Sugar – Add a tablespoon of dark brown sugar to balance the flavors of the dip and to add sweetness to it. Dark brown sugar also adds color to the dip.
Steps To Make Alton Brown Onion Dip
1. Season The Onions
Peel and thinly slice yellow onions. Add thinly sliced onions to a large pot.
Add dark brown sugar, pepper, salt, and baking soda to it. Toss the onions in the pot and let them rest for about 10 minutes.
Set the pot over high heat and drizzle some olive oil in the pot. Cook the onions until they’re golden brown in color.
Reduce the heat to medium and cook it further for about 15 minutes.
2. Deglaze The Onions
Deglaze the onions with sherry vinegar and water. Reduce the heat to low and continue to stir.
Scrap up all the bits of onion from the bottom of the pot. Remove from the heat when the onions are dark golden brown in color and are reduced by 1.5 cups in volume.
Keep it aside to cool completely.
3. Combine With Mayonnaise And Pepper
Add half a cup of caramelized onions to a medium-sized bowl. Combine with mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic powder, and white pepper.
Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving.
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Trans Fat||1 g|
|Vitamin A||283 IU|
|Vitamin C||4 mg|
How Will Alton Brown Onion Dip Look and Taste Like?
So! Try this freshly prepared Alton Brown onion dip. It is filled with creamy onion bites and flavors of sherry vinegar, sour cream, mayonnaise, and spices like ginger, pepper, and salt.
Sugar adds sweetness to the dip. This dip can amp up the taste of any side dish which makes it a perfect choice to be paired with Thanksgiving recipes.
This light and scrumptious Thanksgiving dip has yellow onions cooked with mayonnaise and sour cream. You have to taste it to believe it. So, try it now! Happy Thanksgiving!
Alton Brown Onion Dip Recipe
- Plastic Wrap
- 4 Yellow Onions (peeled)
- 1½ cups Sour Cream
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Sherry vinegar (deglazing)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly Ground White Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
- Transfer thinly sliced onions to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add dark brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and pepper to it.
- Toss the onions in the pot for a minute and then let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- Drizzle some olive oil in the pot and set the pot over high heat. Then, cook the onions.
- After the onions are golden brown in color, reduce the heat to medium and cook further for about 15 minutes.
- Deglaze the onions using sherry vinegar and water. Now, reduce the heat to low and continue to stir.
- Scrap up all the bits of onion from the bottom of the pot.
- Once the onions are dark golden brown in color and reduced by 1.5 cups in volume, remove them from the heat. Keep it aside to cool completely.
- Add a half cup of these caramelized onions to a bowl.
- Combine them with mayonnaise, sour cream, white pepper, and garlic.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Alton Brown onion dip?
Alton Brown onion dip is a type of onion dip that is made with caramelized onions, blue cheese, bacon, cheddar cheese, and spicy onions. It is a popular dish that is often served at parties and gatherings.
How do you make Alton Brown onion dip?
There are many different ways to make Alton Brown onion dip. The most popular method is to caramelize the onions, cook the bacon, and then mix all of the ingredients together. Other methods include using pre-cooked onions, using different types of cheese, or adding other spices to the dip.
Is onion dip the same as French onion dip?
French onion dip is typically made with French onion soup mix, a mixture of dried onions and beef bouillon. Onion dip is made with only onions.
What are some of the most popular variations of Alton Brown Onion Dip?
The most popular variations of Alton Brown onion dip include caramelized onion, blue cheese, bacon, cheddar cheese, and spicy onion.
Alton Brown onion dip has a gorgeous soft creamy texture rather than the rock-hard dips you get from the grocery store where your chips break every time you try to scoop some up.
But if you want a scrumptious onion dip, make this homemade onion dip from scratch! Comment your thoughts about this recipe below. If you like it, try our other holiday recipes as well. Happy Thanksgiving!