Alton Brown grilled sandwich recipe is nothing like the one you know. He makes a point about the authenticity of the name and believes in actually grilling the bread and the cheese, and only then calls it a ‘grilled cheese sandwich.
One day, I was alone at my home and was craving some grilled cheese sandwich. So, I checked for some grilled cheese sandwich recipes on the internet to try something new.
I came across this grilled cheese recipe by the famous chef, Alton Brown. The recipe was unusual, but I thought to give it a try, and it was amazing.
To make Alton Brown grilled cheese, you need bread slices, grated cheese, dry mustard, paprika, black pepper and olive oil. Mix the spices with the cheese and grill it.
Then, spritz the bread with olive oil and grill it too. Remove them from heat and place the melted cheese on the bread. The grilled cheese sandwich is ready!
When it comes to making the best grilled cheese, use good quality bread and cheese. This may seem like a no-brainer, but it really does make a difference in the taste of your grilled cheese.
We recommend using a bread with a good crust, like sourdough or ciabatta, and a sharp cheese like cheddar or Gruyere.
Don’t forget to get the grill hot before adding your sandwich. This will help to prevent the bread from getting soggy and will also give you those nice grill marks on the bread.
I gave you a quick short recipe for the grilled cheese. But make sure you see the complete detailed recipe below to make a perfect grilled cheese, just like Alton Brown.
But before going to the complete recipe, let’s check out some other recipes by some famous chefs.
1. Patti LaBelle’s Macaroni and Cheese– Patti LaBelle’s macaroni and cheese has not one or two but seven different kinds of cheeses. All are combined together to give different textures and powerful flavor to the dish.
2. Jamie Oliver’s Spaghetti Bolognese– Jamie Oliver’s Bolognese is similar to Italian Bolognese but Jamie Oliver has made it extra healthy and delicious than the traditional recipe. You can also make it by following the recipe that I’ve mentioned.
3. Alton Brown’s Gold Cake– Alton Brown’s gold cake is a delicious and fluffy vanilla cake that is just supreme. It doesn’t require fancy ingredients, but the ones needed for a regular cake. It has a rich yellowish golden color. You can make it in less than an hour.
4. Jamie Oliver’s French Onion Soup– If you are looking for a soup that is creamy, smooth and comforting, look no further. Jamie Oliver’s French soup is smooth with delicious French bread and cheese to make it even better. It has a variety of herbs and is equally delicious and healthy.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Alton Brown Grilled Cheese?
- Charcoal Grill – Grill the bread and melt the cheese on the charcoal grill for the cheesy sandwich.
- Bowls – Grate the cheese in the bowls for the recipe.
- Spatulas – Use a spatula to melt cheese until bubbly.
- Grater – Grate the cheddar and gruyere cheese with a grater for the sandwich.
- Aluminum Foil – Wrap the spatula with heavy-duty aluminum foil to make a tray for melting cheese.
- Slotted Spoon – Grill the bread from both the sides using a slotted spoon.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Alton Brown Grilled Cheese?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||10 Minutes||20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Alton Brown Grilled Cheese?
- Bread Slices – I have used white bread as they are very soft, slightly sweet, and easy to eat. They taste even better after toasting, being an ideal base for cheese spreads.
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese – Grate extra sharp cheddar cheese for the recipe to get the most assertive flavor with a sharp taste, and likely to crumble or break when sliced.
- Gruyere Cheese – Grate gruyere cheese in a bowl to get rich, creamy, salty, and nutty flavor of the sandwich.
- Olive Oil – Brush olive oil atop the loaf before grilling to add flavor and color.
- Dry Mustard – The dry mustard powder will add a nice tanginess to the cheese slice and cuts through the rich taste of the cheese.
- Smoked Paprika – Season the cheesy filling with smoked paprika to get a smoky, woodsy, and spicy flavor.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper – Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper to the cheese filling to get spicy flavor.
Steps To Make Alton Brown Grilled Cheese
1. Okay! Let’s Start
You’d have to use a charcoal grill to make this grilled cheese. Get the grill ready with heated charcoals.
Grate the extra sharp cheddar and gruyere cheese in two separate bowls with a grate and keep them aside.
Wrap the spatula with heavy-duty foil and make shallow trays out of it. We did this so the cheese stays in when we keep them on the grill.
2. Let’s Begin With Grilling
Mix the cheddar and gruyere cheese. Add the dry mustard, paprika, and black pepper. Give it a good mix.
Divide the cheese mixture evenly on these two prepared spatulas and place them on the grill, on indirect heat. Let it grill until the cheese melts and bubbles a little. Remove them from the heat and keep them aside.
Meanwhile, spritz the bread slices with some oil and place them on the grill. Toast them using a slotted spoon and remove them from the heat.
Put the melted cheese on toasted bread slice and top with another slice. Cover the bread with foil and place it on the grill again.
Remove from the heat after a couple of minutes, cut it form the the middle, and serve hot.
How Will Alton Brown Grilled Cheese Look And Taste Like?
If you’re a fan of grilled cheese sandwiches, you’ll love Alton Brown’s take on the classic dish. This grilled cheese features a mix of cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, as well as a touch of Dijon mustard.
The result is a sandwich that’s packed with flavor and perfect for any occasion. The cheddar and Gruyere cheeses give it a rich, creamy flavor, while the Dijon mustard adds a bit of tanginess and depth of flavor.
Overall, it’s a delicious and easy-to-make sandwich that’s sure to please everyone at the table. Give it a try the next time you’re in the mood for something special!
Alton Brown Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Charcoal Grill
- Aluminum Foil
- Slotted Spoon
- 4 Bread Slices
- 3 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese(grated)
- 3 ounces Gruyere Cheese (grated)
- Olive oil (for spritzing)
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- You’d have to use a charcoal grill to make this grilled cheese. Get the grill ready with heated charcoals.
- Grate the extra sharp cheddar and gruyere cheese in two separate bowls with a grate and keep them aside.
- Wrap the spatula with heavy-duty foil and make shallow trays out of it.
- Mix the cheddar and gruyere cheese. Add the dry mustard, paprika, and black pepper. Give it a good mix.
- Divide the cheese mixture evenly on these two prepared spatulas and place them on the grill, on indirect heat.
- Let it grill until the cheese melts and bubbles a little. Remove them from the heat and keep them aside.
- Meanwhile, spritz the bread slices with some oil and place them on the grill.
- Toast them using a slotted spoon and remove them from the heat.
- Put the melted cheese on toasted bread slice and top with another slice.
- Cover the bread with foil and place it on the grill again.
- Remove from the heat after a couple of minutes, cut it form the the middle, and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are some tips for making the perfect grilled cheese sandwich?
Alton Brown recommends using good quality bread and cheese, choosing your fat wisely, getting the grill (or skillet) hot before adding your sandwich, using a spatula to press down on the sandwich while it’s cooking, and experimenting with different cheeses and fillings.
What type of bread is best for a grilled cheese sandwich?
There is no one “best” type of bread for a grilled cheese sandwich – it depends on your personal preferences. Some people like to use sourdough bread, while others prefer a more neutral-tasting white bread. Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide what kind of bread you want to use.
What type of cheese is best for a grilled cheese sandwich?
Again, there is no one “best” type of cheese for a grilled cheese sandwich. Some people prefer sharp cheddar, while others like a milder cheese such as mozzarella. You could even experiment with different types of cheeses to find the perfect combination for your taste buds.
What are some other fillings that can be used in a grilled cheese sandwich?
In addition to the classic grilled cheese filling of just bread and cheese, you could experiment with adding other ingredients such as bacon, ham, tomato, or even avocado. Get creative and see what combinations you can come up with!
Alton Brown grilled cheese sandwich is a delicious and easy to make sandwich that is perfect for any occasion. With its mix of cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, as well as a touch of Dijon mustard, this sandwich is packed with flavor.
So if you’re looking for an easy and tasty grilled cheese recipe, give Alton Brown’s version a try. You won’t be disappointed.