Alton Brown’s grilled sandwich recipe is nothing like the one you know. He makes a point about the authenticity of the name and believes in actually grilling the bread and the cheese, and only then calls it a ‘grilled cheese sandwich.
One day, I was alone at my home and was craving some grilled cheese sandwich. So, I checked for some grilled cheese sandwich recipes on the internet to try something new and came across this grilled cheese recipe by the famous chef, Alton Brown. The recipe was unusual, but I thought to give it a try, and it was amazing.
To make Alton Brown’s grilled cheese, you need bread slices, grated cheese, dry mustard, paprika, black pepper and olive oil. Mix the spices with the cheese and grill it. Then, spritz the bread with olive oil and grill it too. Remove them from heat and place the melted cheese on the bread. The grilled cheese sandwich is ready!
I gave you a quick short recipe for the grilled cheese. But make sure you see the complete detailed recipe below to make a perfect grilled cheese, just like Alton Brown. But before going to the complete recipe, let’s check out some other recipes by some famous chefs.
1. Patti LaBelle’s Macaroni and Cheese– Patti LaBelle’s macaroni and cheese has not one or two but seven different kinds of cheeses. All are combined together to give different textures and powerful flavor to the dish.
2. Jamie Oliver’s Spaghetti Bolognese– Jamie Oliver’s Bolognese is similar to Italian Bolognese but Jamie Oliver has made it extra healthy and delicious than the traditional recipe. You can also make it by following the recipe that I’ve mentioned.
3. Alton Brown’s Gold Cake– Alton Brown’s gold cake is a delicious and fluffy vanilla cake that is just supreme. It doesn’t require fancy ingredients, but the ones needed for a regular cake. It has a rich yellowish golden color. You can make it in less than an hour.
4. Jamie Oliver’s French Onion Soup– If you are looking for a soup that is creamy, smooth and comforting, look no further. Jamie Oliver’s French soup is smooth with delicious French bread and cheese to make it even better. It has a variety of herbs and is equally delicious and healthy.
Alton Brown Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Charcoal Grill
- 4 Bread Slices
- 3 ounces Extra Sharp Cheddar (grated)
- 3 ounces Gruyere Cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Olive oil (for spritzing)
- You'd have to use a charcoal grill to make this grilled cheese. Get the grill ready with heated charcoals.
- In a bowl, mix the cheddar and gruyere. Add the dry mustard, paprika and black pepper and mix.
- Take two spatulas and make a boat shape out of them using foils. We do this so the cheese stays in when we keep them on the grill.
- Divide the cheese evenly on these two spatulas and place on the grill, on indirect heat. Let it grill until it melts and bubbles a little. Then, remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, spritz the bread slices with some oil and place them on the grill. Toast them and remove them from heat.
- Put the melted cheese on the bread slice and top with another. Cover with foil and again place on grill, on indirect heat.
- Remove from heat after a couple of minutes, cut in the middle and serve.